Pages

Monday, September 8, 2014

Chasing Clouds in Staten Island

We all know that an overcast day for a photographer is a little piece of heaven on earth. No harsh lighting, and almost complete control in post editing. With my latest obsession with nature, my mission today was capturing clouds.


I needed to get away from the city to be in an open area to grab the photos I envisioned. I wanted the photos to be as dramatic and gloomy as the sky was looking today. Thanks to the Foto care Rental Department, I had a Canon 7D with a 24-105mm lens.


My boss recommended me take the Staten Island Ferry and visit the Statue of Liberty. Shoulder to shoulder we stood waiting to board the John F. Kennedy Ferry. Ironically, JFK was my favorite president, which put a smile on my face.



Once I got on the boat I rushed to the top to get a spot to myself on the balcony. Clearly I wasn't the only one who had this bright idea. 



About 5 minutes into the departure and I already had a beautifully placed skyline view. I'll admit, I never knew dark clouds could be so beautiful.



As my ferry ride was complete, I sat inside of the boat on the way back to Staten Island. It was totally empty and I kept catching people in reflections. It was really cool! 





I came face to face with this extremely intimidating church building. It looked like something straight out of a thriller film from the 80's.


Finally, the moment everyone was waiting for; Miss Liberty herself. That iconic statue stood absolute even though it looked like a storm was brewing.