Pages

Friday, August 29, 2014

Foto Care explores Downtown New York

Today for #FotoFriday I decided to explore downtown New York.  Being the last day before the holiday weekend, I knew people would be outside and soaking up the nice weather we had.  With my exploring I always try to have a task to complete, and today my mission was motion. I wanted to capture cabs, bikes, people, and create at least one blurred effect in one of images. I like to call it "ghosting". Thanks to our Rental Department, they gave me a Canon 7D and a 24-70mm lens to go play with.

Johnny Self Johnny Self NYC Johnny Self Photography

Johnny Self Johnny Self NYC Johnny Self Photography


Of course I could't help myself and took photographs of architecture and even discovered a new restaurant today. Needless to say I was feeling a little adventerous.

Johnny Self Johnny Self NYC Johnny Self Photography

Johnny Self Johnny Self NYC Johnny Self Photography


When shooting blurred motion I kept my shutter around 1/60 and my aperture on f/22. This allowed me to focus on the background image while still recording what walked (or drove) in front of me. The trick is to be very still, which can be hard due to the fact that we are constantly in motion. (breathing, hand shaking, etc). Luckily I found this chair and I sat for a while to set up the shot I wanted. Sitting helped me hold the camera still and I even held by breath when shooting. Believe it or not, it helped! 

Johnny Self Johnny Self NYC Johnny Self Photography



I stumbled upon this small, yet incredibly delicious restaurant called The Melt Shop. Their restaurant theme is built around the grilled cheese sandwich. I thought to myself "How many different kinds of grilled cheese sandwiches can you possibly make?" After a large cup of homemade strawberry lemonade and a bacon-grilled cheese and I am now sold on this place!


Johnny Self Johnny Self NYC Johnny Self Photography

Johnny Self Johnny Self NYC Johnny Self Photography



See more photos on our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram!