Thursday, March 27, 2014

B is for Bokeh

Today in the ABCs of Photography:

B is for Bokeh

© Rob Weber
Bokeh (boh-kay): the blur, or aesthetic quality of the blur, in the out-of-focus background of an image
Originally, this term comes from the 
Japanese word boke, meaning "haze" or "blur", or boke-aji, which means the "blur quality"(1). Popularized by Mike Johnston in Photo Techniques magazine in 1997, the English spelling of bokeh has become the spelling of choice, though you can also spell it "boke"(2)

As you learned in our "A is for Aperture", your f/stop controls the depth-of-field in your image. That blurriness in the background of your image is called bokeh. You can achieve this blur with a large aperture, and long focal length. This image to the right was taken with a 400mm lens at f/2.8, allowing for the subject to become the only focus, literally and figuratively, of the image. 

Stay tuned for more photography tips and tools.

(1), (2) Source